Saturday, July 14, 2018

Forward Movement!

On the poison ivy front at least! I went to see a dermatologist who completely upended my medication regime and I'm already seeing improvement. The main gist is that I quadrupled my zyrtec dose, went back on just a straight high dose of prednisone and I have a completely different antihistamine for night time.

The hives haven't spread since starting this and have started to fade. As such, I've contacted Alison the dressage trainer and set up a lesson for tuesday! I've fixed what I can on my end, now it's time to focus on training.

Before this hives business I was thinking of doing the July dressage show but now I've got my sights set on the August shows. I already know that the July eventing derby is a no-go, but I'm still gung-ho on the hunter pace with Alicia. In a way, it's almost a good thing with this poison ivy and training snafu because it automatically limited my choices for next weekend, which has the dressage show, hunter pace AND eventing derby. Ridiculous.





SmartPak had their rare sale on BoT products so I snagged two saddle pads. I really like them!

They're a good size for my larger saddle with plenty of room for wither clearance while still allowing use of the girth billet. 

Love this view!
 I didn't ride for long. I lunged a bit, but Hazel and Kaylee were in the arena with me and I'm not a fan of running my horse over my children. Hazel rode with me for a portion of the ride so we just toodled around while she chatted happily.

For the time I rode solo we worked on moving Gwyn's body laterally. Mainly because I know that's going to be something I want to show that we worked on when I have my lesson tuesday. Gwyn did pretty good! We also did some canter. She was much better to the right than to the left but nothing that was scary or unridable. I just boot her through it and ask again. She was much  more unbalanced to the left as well, which is what I'm attributing to her bucking and hopping. When her feet were moving appropriately, the canter was nice and controlled and rateable.


Each kid has their own helmet! Safety first.... until the 2 year old automatically removes her shoes upon entering the arena, lol

I didn't ride for long. I lunged a bit, but Hazel and Kaylee were in the arena with me and I'm not a fan of running my horse over my children. Hazel rode with me for a portion of the ride so we just toodled around while she chatted happily. This is one of the first times she's actually ridden with me and I'm really excited! For as happy as she is around the animals (and how comfortable they are with one another) she really hasn't wanted to ride. Or would get scared.

Hot mare. It was overcast but humid.
We rode 1.5 miles in about a half hour. Kaylee also got on to ride but quickly got frustrated because she tries to steer and be independent, but Gwyn always returns to me. Pokey ploddy pony she is not. She just wants to make sure Kaylee is safe.

And because I am all about all things purple... I found purple spurs and nunn finner purple rubber spur straps. I am stoked!


3 comments:

  1. That pad looks good on her. Have fun at your lesson Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm excited to get back into a training routine!

      Delete