Thursday, August 9, 2018

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.

Gwyn got a bit of a break as I was away on a long weekend in Vegas for a meetup with some people from my online Mom group. We've been friends for almost 7 years now. It was a great trip but I was glad to be home. I got not nearly enough sleep and I'm still recovering three days later, though life hasn't been helping in that regard. Like my flat tire. And the shit hole that is my job.

I will always find the horses



 I'll probably do a whole Vegas write up on my non-horse blog. That's been sadly neglected lately. Same for the farm blog. But there's a shit load to talk about. But really, what this meant was that I needed horse time. In a major way.

You've got more mints, right Mom?
 So last night, after having a minor cry fest at work, and after the kids were in bed I went out to do my barn chores and just... exist with Gwyn. I deep cleaned the stalls (since Eric doesn't if I'm away) and that felt good and periodically called out in the darkness for Gwyn and Saffron. It took a little bit but soon I heard hoof beats and Gwyn came galloping up from the summer pasture back to the barn, ears pricked forward.

They got grain, and then I pulled Gwyn out to give her her final dose of Adequan, which also means I should schedule another chiro to see how her SI is doing since that got majorly adjusted last time. Then, with grooming gloves on I just stood and itched her. She must have been sweaty at some point, since her coat felt like it had a bit of salt crust and was itchy because of it. She's also shedding a bit and I pulled a lot of those short summer hairs to the surface. I was getting mutually groomed very vigorously so I assume it felt good and when she couldn't reach me her lip was stuck out stick and wiggling.

At least my horse offers feedback on my performance.... And appreciates me.

She got mints for being a good girl for the shot. And then I check out her feet. The velcro tape for the Megasus is already partly off, but I'm reserving judgment since I know I didn't exactly follow the instructions for application. But this is good to know that it won't last if you half ass the steps. Her hind feet were starting to pancake so I took a rasp to the trouble spots to try and prevent major chipping. The farrier won't be out until Monday. He was supposed to be out this week but had to reschedule. So she got more mints for being a good girl for my amateur farrier work.




I did end up buying the fly boot things as I suspect that she's stomping herself out of her shoes. So far so good! I dont' see nearly as much stomping out in the pasture. Of course there are now three horse shoes still unaccounted for plus both of the megasus covers. 








2 comments:

  1. Vegas is an interesting place, not necessarily my cup of tea lol but it sounds like you definitely had some fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had fun but only because I was with a good group of folks who helped make it fun. If I was going solo I would have skipped the strip except for one visit and pretty much just gone to museums and on hikes, lol. That's more my style.

      Delete