Wednesday, April 29, 2015

3.42 miles today!


Increased distance today!

I've noticed with Gwyn that the first day back that I ride after a hiatus she is on her best behavior. We have no spooks, she listens, she doesn't fight me. I liken it to her going "You're back! Stay back please! I'm a good girl I swear I'll be good don't leave me again."

The second time I ride (today) it's like she suddenly goes "Oh, well,  you're coming more frequently so now I'm going to go back to my old shenanigans because I know you won't leave me again."

I didn't lunge today and instead started with about a mile of work in the arena. We did a lot of working off the seat and listening. I wanted to make sure I'd have control out in the field if I chose to go. She offered some good canter, which I was pretty happy with. It felt like there is some improvement there. I guess the little bit Beth was able to do with her, worked! I did raise my stirrups a hole from yesterday because I felt like I couldn't get my leg under me AND have my heels down. I felt much better today, especially in the canter.

We headed back out into the field and reversed the path from yesterday. Pretty much immediately I had a more 'alert' horse between my legs. Her trot was very forward heading away from the barn (we were also 'chasing' a cat) and as we came to the back of the field near a large irrigation ditch, we startled a bird out of the grass.

Gwyn jumped sideways and I came off. Thankfully, of all the places to fall, it didn't hurt and was rather cushy ground. Thank you hay field! Gwyn immediately stopped and started eating grass. Thank you again, hay field. I'd like to say she looked contrite, but that may be too much anthropomorphism.

There were some handy logs that I used to mount back up and we continued on. She continued to be much more tense. But no more spooks, thank goodness. We got some nice cantering in and I made an effort to trot more than yesterday. I need to increase my fitness in maintaining a posting trot if I want to do CTR and Endurance and now is the time to work on that. I'll also be adding in running to get in better shape cardio-wise. 


I decided to add a bit of length by going down the road. We only had one car drive by and they were very polite and didn't rush so it was a nice positive experience for Gwyn!

Neighboring fields


I tried to get a selfie of the two of us. It was less than successful, lol

No comments:

Post a Comment