Sunday, December 3, 2023

Dulcinea TH

Very honestly, I was hoping that I'd be able to get a good connection through a friend when I started horse shopping. Thanks to an old school horse blogging friend (heeeeey LiveJournal) I heard about a Hanoverian filly for sale in California. The pictures of her were awful, but in a way that were doing her a disservice and I think making her look worse than reality. They were blurry, dark, nothing to give you the best idea of conformation, just a baby trotting in a covered arena. 
Like... what



Said friend runs a breeding operation and breeds to the same sire as the filly in question, a Hanoverian stallion named Dubarry. More recent babies have been scoring exceedingly well in their inspections and older offspring are performing quite well in dressage, vaulting and eventing. Three of my friends now have "Dubabies" as they've dubbed them, and they're exceedingly amateur friendly.  All of that to say, I've been very jealous from afar, lol.

Until my friend, K, posted on facebook about an acquaintance who had a Dubarry filly for sale, was anyone interested? I've been biting on things like this because why the heck not, I'm searching and I know my budget. 

Lo and behold, she's in budget. I talked it over with Claire and sent the photos to my trainer, who is currently in Europe. The only struggle I have is I can't go see her, or if I get her, pick her up right away. My schedule through the end of December is basically blocked out. But I do trust K and together we devise a plan. If I buy her, K will keep her on in training board for a few months. Trainer sounded more enthusiastic about baby warmblood than OTTB for me.

And so that's what I've done.
Meet Dulcinea TH

5 days old, 2021


She's being boarded with K until I can go pick her up, which will hopefully be in February, returning FDA inspection dependent. She's going to be in Pre-K with the baby starter at K's barn and will get about 5 sessions a week and will learn general exposure and handling things.

She's got some cute ermine spots in those white socks.


She's got some floaty movement and I can't wait to meet her in person.





I've got some SmartPaks set up for her for supplements that are being auto shipped to the Cali barn and she has a nice new rope halter and lead headed that way as well. 


We're going to try Leche as a barn name and see how it fits. 
She's learning to chill while people do strange things near by, like work on tractors.
And also getting a little more comfortable, enough to start misbehaving. It seems like the breeder maybe let things slide that you shouldn't with babies, like having decent boundaries about personal space. But these things can be fixed when they're young.




1 comment: