Sunday, February 3, 2019

Consequences of the Polar Vortex

Last I left off, we were trundling through the cold temperatures just fine. I felt guilty about putting the heavier blanket on Gwyn and switched it for the sheet for the worst of the temperature drops. I don't clip her at this point in the season so I feel like I could do more harm by blanketing than not. Anyway. Keeping a horse at home is like a constant series of self doubt regarding your decision making for the health of your horse because you've got no one to blame but yourself. 

Friday Jan 25
 In preparation for the snow storm, and in anticipation that the horses wouldn't want to voluntarily leave their stalls, I pulled out my square bale hay net and stuck a full bale in Gwyn's stall (and eventually outside). She was a big fan of it and each time I checked on them they would always have hay. It made me feel better since I know that grazing is the best way to keep them warm and this was a slow feed tiny hole hay net.

Monday Jan 28
 The snow arrived Monday afternoon. I went into work against my better judgement because I had a client that always sends samples every monday that I wanted to get done. I left early as reports were the roads were terrible. And they were.


I tossed some hay into the run just to get Gwyn out of my hair while I cleaned her stall


As suspected, the horses pretty much got out into the wind and went "NOPE" and hustled back to their stalls. They had the option to go anywhere in the pasture and footprints tell the whole story, lol


Tuesday Jan 29
 Eric tried to go to work on Tuesday but got the Volt stuck in the drifts on the driveway. He pretty much gave up on working on location for the rest of the week, especially once other events happened later. His work told him to work from home anyway.

On tuesday, I opted to stay home. Our roads are notorious for not being cleared as well as the ones closer to metro Detroit. When one of our friends (who did try to get to work) reported that he had slowly spun out and landed in the opposing lane of traffic despite not going fast, I knew I was staying home. Sorry, not sorry, coworkers.

This meant I got to watch the horses cavorting in the snow, since the wind had died down and it was no longer snowing heavily.





Keep the volume down, there's children shrieking in the background.

The polar vortex was imminent. I bundled up to leave the house for chores.



Tuesday night was going to be the worst so far as windchill went. I loaded up their water and hay, with lots of extra loose hay and shut the stall doors. 


Saffron was NOT amused. She wanted to hang out in the barn aisle, not her stall.



Best Spouse (TM) had hot tea waiting for me when I came inside.

Fri Feb 1
 Thursday was another cold night but I left the barn open. It wasn't going to be as bad, more just plain cold temperatures rather than cold + wind. Again, lots of hay. On Friday I pulled off Gwyn's rain sheet as the temperatures were going to shoot up. Friday was mid teens but positive and felt amazing. Gwyn was fat, shiny and happy under her sheet.
Evidence of wind: Snow drifts over a foot deep


Saturday Feb 2
 Temperatures rose above freezing on Saturday. When I went out to check the barn, I immediately stepped into ankle deep water. Water was everywhere. Gwyn's stall was totally flooded, ruining all of the bedding I'd had in there for the temperature drop.

Thankfully all of my hay was on high enough ground.



Sunday Feb 3
 I took advantage of a second day of abnormally warm temperatures to pick up all the poop that had frozen to the ground during the temperature drop. The stalls I left alone except to pile the wasted bedding into one big mound to better facilitate water drainage.
Nosy mare



Meanwhile, Eric brought out our aquaponics pump and rigged it for the pond of water in the barn. It worked!


It just doesn't have anywhere to go thanks to the frozen ground


 He did figure out part of the culprit was a rodent hole at the back of my grooming/storage stall. The water was coming in from off the hill and since it couldn't drain well, it was just backing up into the barn. We will be fixing that hole asap. I also want to regrade around the barn, trouble is we don't have a lot of elevation change to work with to facilitate drainage.



Now this evening the water has receded significantly from 24 hours previous. We're supposed to get rain tomorrow.  -.- 

Gwyn's stall

In front of Gwyn's stall

Grooming/Storage no longer under water! 
Saffron's stall
Entry



My grain room has remained dry. My hay is dry. There is dry land for the horses to stand on so they don't get horridly thrushy. I hung Gwyn's hay in a dry spot outside since the weather is mild.

We will get through this. I wish it had just stayed cold. :/

13 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm sorry it flooded. What a pain to deal with. Glad everyone survived the vortex though. It was getting scary cold for a lot of regions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was. Several deaths too, which is absolutely awful.

      Delete
  2. How awful about the flood! But at least the hay was safe and it could have been much worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would have cried if my hay had gotten wet. Like just sat down and cried. I can deal with the water so long as my feed investment stays good!

      Delete
  3. all our snow is melting now too, tho luckily there isn't so much ice down that things are flooding across the ground. still tho, the mud is unreal ugh. glad the horses seem happy tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UGH the mud. Yeah. I tried to ride last weekend and let the neighbor foster kid ride but we walked into my arena and it was a skating rink under the snow because of the odd freeze/thaws we've got going here.

      I'm getting antsy not being able to even safely walk. I really want to try and get out into the farm fields if I get home with enough light and it's not raining too hard. At least we can stretch our legs up there.

      Delete
  4. Glad your hay was safe. We had a flood in our lower barn when a pipe above burst so that was fun, but then it froze solid pretty much instantly. It was like -10 before wind chill here during the Vortex and then today it is 50+. Everything is melting and turning into mud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we had our swing upwards and now we're dropping back down into an ice storm. The temperatures swings are just mind boggling.

      Delete
  5. Ugh sorry about the barn flooding that part sucks the most since there is so much that can rot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true. If we stay in this house for a while I would like to upgrade/relocate the barn and flood prevention is HIGH on my priority list.

      Delete
  6. These temperature fluctuations are THE WORST. I don't mind 20 degrees -- yeah it's cold, but everything stays frozen so I'm not living in lake! Ugh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! Plus it's a colic risk. We're supposed to hit 50 F today with thunderstorms. It is so wild. And you're not far, being in Ohio so you're likely seeing the same stuff that I am.

      Delete
  7. Your polar vortex outfit looks very similar to mine LOL. I got a kick out of the footprints noping right out of the wind.

    ReplyDelete