Tuesday, April 10, 2018

The Canter

I was really stuck in my head while I was at work yesterday. I had looked up some show dates for the Eventing Derby that's local to me and there's one in May next month. I really want to take Gwyn but each time I go look at the dressage test they want the Starters and B/N to do I freak out because the Beginner Novice Test A (the test both levels do) has cantering in it. I keep wanting them to do the Introductory tests A or B, which are no canter.

The last time Gwyn and I attempted cantering in a dressage test she wouldn't stay on the 20m left circle (which was at A) and we went leaping out of the ring. It was mortifying and so so frustrating.

So I posted for some help and guidance in a facebook group I'm in and after actually talking through the issue I realized some of my fear was in my head and I should actually get on my damn horse and work on cantering to see where we are. That dressage test was something like 4-5 years ago. We've both changed since then.

I resolved to go home and actually WORK the pony. The arena footing was finally solid and not mucky or gooshy from rain. Conditions were perfect.

I started lunging.
Purple polo'd up
 And then decided to try the slow motion feature on my phone that was new with the latest update to the camera. Laugh with me.

All the while, that terrible white stuff insisted on falling. It was actually kind of pleasant. There wasn't any wind and it was a few degrees above freezing. An odd experience, all said and done.

Then I tried to take a photo of the sn*w in her forelock. She wanted treats.

"FEED ME"


"FEED ME TOO"


Anyway, lunging went well and just as I got on I heard the kids as they came running up to the arena. Apparently Hazel saw me out in the arena with Gwyn and insisted that they go outside. Two year olds, man.

So I took both of them up, Hazel in front and Kaylee behind me, and we walked around for a little bit. Both girls had a blast and Hazel was absolutely thrilled. Kaylee got down with the promise she could ride solo and I took Hazel around and we did a little bit of trotting and the child was laughing with glee.

Maybe I need a buddy seat. I definitely need a second child's helmet if this continues. Hazel was put down with significant protesting and went back inside and Kaylee stayed out with me while I schooled Gwyn on cantering. We did a lot of walk/canter and trot/canter transitions and specifically worked on circling at the canter.

And I realized that we would probably be fine in this dressage test. But I definitely should grab another lesson before that show if possible.

After getting one last good canter depart in both directions I hopped off and let Kaylee get on. They circled the arena a bit and little at a trot before Gwyn decided that she was done and walked herself back to the barn with Kaylee on board laughing.

Helping me cool off a sweaty Gwyn.
She learned why we make sure sweaty animals get dried off and cooled before having their dinner and she was the perfect height to rub at Gwyn's sweaty spots. I'm thinking I'll need to clip Gwyn before Brighton if 20 minutes of canter work got her as sweaty as it did. The one little stripe I created helped, but she'll need more cooling, unless it's rainy.

I hope it's not rainy.
Sn*w

And then we got an inch of the white stuff in like an hour. It'll probably disappear by the end of today though since temperatures are supposed to be on the rise. FINALLY.

So lesson learned, brains will fixate on issues that aren't as bad as the brain thinks they are. Trust in the horse, but also keep schooling those canter departs because they are uuuuugly.

And remember to get the dressage whip out of the truck. Jump bats are useless when schooling on the flat.

5 comments:

  1. Good for you for starting to work through the canter! It is definitely the gait that so many of us can get into a mental struggle with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apparently have huge mental issues when it comes to cantering. That needs to go away now!

      Delete
  2. sounds like an exciting derby opportunity! definitely worth a little more practice and thoughtfulness about the canter in advance! and honestly, having scribed at a couple schooling dressage shows, i've seen competitors come in and just let the judge know they'll be trotting through the canter portions of the test if they're not comfortable or for whatever reason. hopefully you guys will be great and that won't be necessary, but definitely don't feel like you can't give it a shot even if you're not feeling like the canter will be ready for the test!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew you could do that! Someone else in my group suggested the same thing and it was the first time I'd ever heard of it.

      I'm keeping that as my back up plan in case I chicken out the day of, but I'm going to plan on doing the test as is and just prepare for awful scores on the canter and be happy if we don't get awful scores. lol.

      Probably my big goal would be just staying in the dressage court.

      Delete
  3. The mind is a fascinating thing. Always prepared to see the worse. It’s good you decided to tackle it head on and see if what you was what you remembered or not.

    ReplyDelete