Friday, April 13, 2018

Polly Ann Adventures

In a fun 'it's a small horse world" moment, I met up with a local horse friend who is mutual friends with two other people I know from two different social circles. I know Aunna from endurance stuff and I know Kira from an online rider social group on facebook and they have a friend in common, Alicia. Kira wanted me to meet up with Alicia as Kira is moving overseas and is helping me network locally. Aunna, Alicia and I are all interested in endurance and have wanted to condition together. Alicia and I are planning to share my campsite in a week at Brighton. So we decided we should get together and ride together before that!

I planned my midweek day off for the best weather day of this week and BOY did I nail it! Alicia and I decided to meet up at the Leonard Trail head of the Polly Ann Trail. It's the next county south of where we both live and there is much better funding for the trail there and thus better footing for the horses. Where there's still railroad gravel by me, it's nicely packed crushed rock south of us. Perfect for moving out with unshod hooves.

I'd also applied Hoof Armor to Gwyn's hooves on Tuesday and I'm hoping that will be good for some basic protection for the infrequent times we are on rockier footing.
Checking out the new location
 Gwyn was, once again, argumentative about loading and proceeded to tear around the mini pen I'd created around the trailer. This time I cut right to the chase and took her to the arena to lunge her, again with the idea of "it's easier to load and stand still than give me trouble because I will make you move".  I made her move for about 3 minutes, grabbed her and walked back to the trailer, pointed and she hopped on.

This mare.


Again, due to the county south being far more affluent, there are lot more amenties at this trail head. Like a corral for horses. Every other post had a tie ring but I just let Gwyn loose to graze while I checked the bathroom (still closed for the winter) and then peed by the trailer.

Note to self: Buy those stand to pee things for non-penis havers.


The Map - This map is placed at every road crossing on this trail in Oakland County. Go two miles north to Lapeer County? Fuck you, good luck guessing where you are unless you're familiar with the dirt roads.

Water fountain and bike tire fixit station
While I was late, Alicia was a bit later. It wasn't a problem since I had no other obligations. I took my time with the shedding blade as Gwyn is finally in full shed mode. The sun was out and the weather was warming up. I had a vest and a long sleeve shirt but started to regret not having short sleeves.

Alicia arrived and out came a GIANT Tennessee Walker, chestnut paint. Like, Gwyn is big, he was bigger! We got tacked up, did the usual "great to meet you in person finally!" rigamarole, lol and mounted up.

For once, Gwyn had a hard time keeping up with a horse, this guy's stride was SO huge! It was kind of nice, lol. We headed in the south/west direction on the trail, rather than north into Lapeer. Alicia had only ridden north, I've biked south and knew the footing would be nice.

We saw a ton of wildlife including a whitetail deer, a redtail hawk who was head height with me when he took off from a low branch, several painted turtles sunning themselves and we heard LOTS of frogs and peepers! The low swamp areas were positively bustling with spring chorus. It was SO nice to have all the sights and sounds of spring after this ridiculously extended cold we've been having. Like buoying to the spirit.

Alicia and I were pretty much instant friends. We are both scientists and parents, similar in age, though she became a parent at a younger point in her life than me and is a few years older. Lots of similar philosophies regarding horses, parenting, just life.  We both like to add in some speed on the trail and not just plod along.

And we both squee'd when we saw the painted turtle crossing the trail as we were returning.


Turtle and a Gwyn nose.

Happy Smiles abound!
Almost 8.5 miles traversed in 2  hours. Both horses were great together, which is good because they'll be camping buddies next weekend, lol. I'm contemplating clipping Gwyn more depending on the weather forecast. If it stays like how the 10 day says, probably not, but we'll see. Things can change.

I got home and tossed Gwyn into the spring pasture (that I had mowed the night before, look at it's beautiful self!) She got a lot of itchies out rolling in the grass. I left her and Saffron there for the afternoon and got on with painting my new ground poles. I'll post about those when the project is finished.


2 comments: