Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Beginnings and Endings

This is from about Solstice on. We tried a new tradition this year and started opening a present a day from Solstice through Christmas Day. Our family isn't religious, and we're trying to be less christian centric in the holidays we celebrate, so this felt nice. And with two young kids, you get to spread out the joy and enjoyment of gifts so they have more time to appreciate individual items. 
"Good Rides Only" on the spine of my new constellation pad

We got hit with a blizzard the week before Christmas, which effectively sent kids into winter break two days early and wreaked havoc on my work schedule

A solstice simmer pot for good, pagan vibes

Barn owner posted this, with Gwyn in the background

My mom was able to make a new stocking to replace the old one she'd made for Claire when we got married. It meant SO much to Claire that she did it. It was a surprise for us both when it arrived before christmas! My mom made all of the ones with names except for mine.

One of my gifts was new keys for my mechanical keyboard. They are in my fav colors (purple and teal) and allow the light to come through

Christmas Eve day feed store outfit since Gwyn needed more grain

Christmas Day barn trip. The Goober is regaining some topline! Our slow and steady work is paying off

Another Christmas present. Claire got me a dressage style and her face went WHITE when I told her that this must mean I should get a dressage saddle next. 

It worked just fine with my AP saddle :) 

AND SPARKLES

The covered arena was freshly dragged. We were the first hooves in it!


Day after Christmas, Gwyn politely stayed where I put her while I went to help Hazel with something.

Gwyn was very concerned with both Hazel AND the feed room being messed in.

Lesson day, mid week, during daylight! Worked on a lot of lateral movement. 

Lateral movement has been the focus of lessons lately but it's also helping Gwyn build strength where she needs it. Shoulder fore, leg yield, asking her for more weight on the hind end. We lose some of the ability to do lateral work at the trot but are slowly working up to it. Part of it is me losing all coordination within my own body when posting. 

I don't have particular showing goals this year beyond getting legged back up for LDs and maybe doing some intro dressage again for miles, and the FCPC derby in August. 
I kicked off 2023 with a trail ride at Bridle Trails with Cortney, Trudy and Trudy's friends. Gwyn was content to lead for the whole ride, which was good because two of the horses were anxious wrecks. We got a decent ride in despite their anxiety, though Gwyn apparently walked too fast for Ace (the gray on the left, above), who jigged the the whole time, which was slower than Gwyn's walk. 
Again, I just love Bridle Trails. It's green year round with excellent footing. Love the evergreen nature of the evergreen state.

I dressed up for this event with a 2023 headband and Gwyn and I were bedecked in holo accessories. The park was packed with families. It's a state park and WA state runs free days where a parking pass isn't required. Jan 1 is one of those dates. Additionally, it was also part of the First Day Hike program where there are organized hikes across the state parks. At this park, they had carrots and cocoa!


I didn't want this ride to be just a casual walk in the woods. I made sure I was constantly checking in on Gwyn's 'crookedness' as we traveled down the path. So if we were walking straight I made sure she was traveling straight or I was asking for leg yields back and forth across the wide path. If we had curves, I made sure that she was bending and stepping under herself appropriately. It kept her brain engaged for sure, and she had lots of snorts and stretches as we walked. 






A few times Cortney and Reign pulled ahead. Reign and Gwyn actually got along today!




Gwyn was very interested in the trailer after Reign loaded so I just... let her go to see what would happen. My "hates slant loads and enclosed trailers" mare hopped right on. Dork. At least I know that Cortney could haul us in a pinch!

HOLOGRAPHIC: Winter is the only time where Gwyn tolerates this pad. It does not breath well. 

Happy Mare with leftover breakfast, lunch and naked time in the sun.

Later that day I got awful news from Cortney and spent Jan 2nd by her side once she was home.  So 2023 can already suck it. Immediate mood swing to the negative. I'm glad that I was able to drop everything and go be with her. 
I helped her with barn chores and got to see Saffron

No comments:

Post a Comment