Thursday, July 2, 2020

Stress Relief

With the looming deadline for moving out of our rental having passed, I informed E that I was going to be at the barn on July 1st and to not expect me home after work until well after kid bedtime. I had to work late and finish sample testing so it was a good thing that my originally scheduled 6:30pm dressage lesson had been cancelled due to trainer E's truck breakdown. I arrived just before 6:30, there was a consistent light rain and surprisingly, no one else. 

It was lovely.

This was my work outfit because why not. It's technically lab appropriate attire


I didn't super groom her because she was really wet. I did scrape off what loose hair was remaining from shed. Then I picked through her mane and tail. Her tail REALLY needed it. 
Wet mare who wants cookies

Why should I make happy ears for you? You didn't come out for TWO WEEKS

Okay fine for the small shattered phone device

Quarantine purchases included a LeMieux. I love it.

She was... bouncy... while lunging. Though I think adding in the time off, plus cool weather. Goober was feeling good. I warmed her up and then really focused on getting a good, balanced canter each side out of her. I didn't use side reins this time because I wanted to ride but I might pull them out next time. 

Trainer E's recommendation is that we keep the canter on the lunge line to build strength. I know if I go back in time on this blog I'll see that we have made progress on canter. It used to be she couldn't even do a full canter circle on the lunge line. 

Some mushrooms growing in the manure cart

The ride itself was low key. She had some issues standing still at the mounting block but she also knew that I had cookies in my pocket. She only got the cookie after standing still AND letting me get on though. 
I felt stiff and out of sorts. I really just needed the quiet time on her. I focused on the elements of things I learned in my last dressage lesson to see if I could recreate that feel. By the time I'd decided I was done and should be starting to wrap things up, Gwyn had dried into that soft, fluffy clean feeling that rain brings.
The rest of the barn was being brought in by the time we were done. She apparently REALLY loves this 3 year old the barn owner recently bought. Like, babies him, likes him. 

And for some random work shit: 
Sometimes being a microbiologist means dealing with high pressure steam condensers. I feel badass.

Always wear appropriate PPE for the job. Steam means goggles AND a face shield, COVID-19 means a mouth mask (though I'm not near anyone in this picture so not really necessary)

Blurry because I'm taking a picture through a ziploc bag because I'm in one of the CLEANEST rooms at work. And this is my clean room outfit. Also why I have NO sympathy for mask complainers.

That picture is me in plant clothes, which are single wear, company provided nylon blue pajamas, basically that DO NOT BREATH. Then you put on a clean body suit, also made of nylon/polyester over that that's a giant onesie. Then bootie covers and reglove.

THEN you add a sterile onsie made out of pure plastic (the white) and a sterile hood, sterile mask (and it has plastic on the outside too so it breathes less), sterile bootie covers and two pairs of sterile gloves. That my goggles aren't fogging up is a god damn miracle in that picture.

If I can wear that, AND PUT IT ON WITHOUT CONTAMINATING IT, you can wear your fucking mask. Wear your mask.

1 comment:

  1. Love the mushroom in the manure bucket pic haha

    I do love having the property all to myself when I ride, and a little rain always feels nice

    ReplyDelete