Wednesday, March 8, 2017

In Which I'm Unnerved

So, I'm pretty sure someone is messing with my barn. 
On Friday Gwyn got out. I thought it was an accident and she jumped out but I couldn't find her take off and landing spot. The ground was soft enough it would have been obvious. None of my fencing was broken, my one gate into the pasture was still locked (heavy duty carabiner). It was weird, but it wouldn't be the first time she's made an escape like that. It was just the first time where we live now and the first time at home rather than in a boarding situation. I closed off the front pasture (it needs to rest anyway) and put it to the back of my mind.
Quick barn description:
My barn has three stalls which all open to runs and that opens to the pasture. Those doors are dutch doors which latch independently. I keep them open 24/7 and the barn is available 24/7 as shelter. One stall is closed off because the dutch door is broken, one stall is held open with a bungee cord with carabiners, the other is held open with some old synthetic stirrup leathers because all of my bungee cords were deteriorating in the weather or weren't big enough. The human door to the barn is broken and needs replacing. I keep it shut with a bungee because if so much as a breeze blows on it it swings open. Anyway.
Now, today, I went to check on the property before picking up the kidlets from daycare because we've had some really strong winds. I pull around back to the barn and Gwyn is frantic because Saffron is LOCKED into her stall. Like, stall door latched. Both stall doors are unclipped and one is swinging in the wind. Both were undone only on the bottom half of the dutch door and not broken.
The door to the barn itself was not latched the way I leave it. It was wedged shut. And oddly, some expanding wood pellet shavings were in a water bucket as if someone thought they were grain. I asked Kaylee if she had done it and she said she didn't and I believe her (though Eric doesn't)
I am thoroughly freaked out. We now have a camera pointed from the house to the barn and Eric bought unlimited online storage so I'll be able to review footage whenever.
I gave one of our neighbors permission to pet give apples to the critters if we weren't around, and now I'm wondering if they're overstepping a significant boundary. We are also located across from the local high school and our place used to belong to a local horse trainer/riding instructor.

BAH. Not what I needed to be thinking about.

And now I'm lusting after some nice endurance stuff. I want to get a pair of Scoot Boots for Gwyn's fronts and a nice halter bridle (I see your reviews of the Two Horse Tack stuff!) and our tax return is burning a hole in my pocket that Eric would be upset with me if I spent it on horse stuff when I don't NEED it. Boooooo being responsible.

For the month of March I'm doing a squat challenge and that's going well. Probably in April I'll start up the Rider Fitness Challenge. I'm trying to find ways to fit fitness into my day because it's hard with the two kids. There are not enough waking hours in the day and I should be asleep now as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment