Thursday, August 3, 2023

To the Monument! (May)

I needed to get out and ride in the woods so I planned to go on Sunday. The weather had warmed for a brief period and while Sunday wasn't going to be as warm as it had the prior 3-4 days, it was still going to be pleasant and dry.
Gwyn was creeping on me while I used the porta-potty before getting on. I really love that she's interested in where I go and what I'm doing. 
I was complaining that morning that I couldn't find my hoof pick. I toss my saddle bags up on Gwyn and what do I see? My hoofpick. 
Gwyn had her hoof boots and it wasn't long before we were ready to head out. She was forward and happy to move out at a brisk walk. 
I didn't have much in mind for this ride. I'm still getting familiar with the trails here at Pilchuck so my biggest goal was going a different direction than I had the past few times I'd been to the trail system.

These sunglasses fell to the ground twice on this ride. Once at the beginning and again midway through. At least both times I found good stumps to remount with.

Notoriously, there is no map of the trail system here. I think it has something to do with the logging company that owns the property and grants us permission to recreate here. Thankfully, Google Maps does have some of the trails if you zoom in close enough.
When I decided on my destination (the Monument), and checked "walking" it also handily navigated me there. The smaller single track had just reopened to horses and bike travel after the winter (they restrict bikers and equestrians to the logging roads in the winter to protect the integrity of the trails) so getting to the Monument was faster than it might otherwise have been.















































1 comment:

  1. looks like a lovely ride! such a random statue thing out in the woods like that haha

    ReplyDelete