Monday, August 21, 2023

Future Planning

 With Gwyn's back to back injuries (suspensory followed by something muscular in the stifle) and unsure long term prognosis I'm entertaining second horse ideas. Even if we have a good prognosis, I don't know that Gwyn will ever hold up to eventing and she may be destined as a casual trail and dressage lesson only. The lameness has been chronic enough from what we think is over a decade of poor biomechanics that even if I get her using her body better - and I've been trying - I have a deep seated fear that we'll just get eliminated over and over for not being sound in the dressage court.


Gwyn doesn't appear to be in pain. She's happy to move out, she's spicy at times and more than willing to go forward. I am wondering if I'm going to be left with a mechanically lame, but pain free horse. I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst and I have no idea how I can make a second horse work both with a purchase (prices are CRAZY omg) and with long term upkeep. 

I just feel so frustrated thinking about the things I want to do vs what I'm able to do. I love this horse, she's not going to be sold regardless of the prognosis. But I do absolutely need to figure out what the future looks like. 

I'm working with my trainer to find options for a second horse but the first one that she thought was a good potential fit had developing sidebone so they were out for any eventing. What I want overall, is the following:


1. Not dainty. Height I don't care about beyond "not pony" but I want decent, thick bone because I am not a small rider. 

2. Is healthy enough to jump. 

3. Can canter.

4. Has an idea of contact or is green enough that the concept won't be a retraining, just an introduction.

5. Less than 10,000 USD


Is this reasonable? I have no idea. Gwyn is the first horse I've owned and I got her from a friend. I'm a much better rider now than when she became mine at 5 years old. I'm absolutely paying for that inexperience in myself now but trying not to dwell in the past and instead correct both of us.

The timing of this thought experiment is not doing wonders for my mental health as I deal with stressful work stuff, but I also hate not having a plan. And I feel like I still don't have enough information to make a plan. 

5 comments:

  1. Just commenting because I went through this a bit with my mare (nothing ever officially 'wrong' but she just gets NQR sooner or later when the work steps up, then needs time and physio, rinse, repeat). I eventually opted to just give her an easier job and have no regrets with that, she's happy and that's what matters most to me. She's being leased to a friend for her little kid this fall because like you I'd rather not sell, and I think she likes having a job. I think it's healthy to look around at where you're at now as compared to where you'd like to be and explore what different plans might look like. I ended up buying a very spicy baby ' for the future' , so I think your wish list and budget sounds very reasonable :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh i feel your frustration loud and clear... it's just a not great place to be. wishing you clarity in figuring out the right management path for Gwyn. in terms of thinking about a second, my only input would be to make your criteria match your sense of what it would take to actually balance two. i don't know the west coast market, and honestly have only really spent much time in the TB market anyway, but $10K for a horse that "can canter" for somebody who has anxiety about managing two.... that's not good enough. i believe there's a horse for you within your budget and your criteria should be ruthlessly focused on finding THAT horse --- good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So the OTTB market is well below budget if I buy from the local track, and the off track standardbreds from BC Canada are also within budget. If I want anything that has been started over fences or is working into contact regularly I need a minimum of 15k. I'm worried about going standardbred, even though I love the breed, because that could put me in a 'doesn't canter' situation again. I don't have OTTB experience and when I floated the idea with my trainer she was hesitant.

      This is my first time truly horse shopping so I fully admit I may be in a spot of "i don't know what I don't know".

      Delete
    2. Oh, you are close to me! I'm up in BC, on the coast just north of Vancouver. Your dollar would obviously go further here but are there concerns with border and vet fees to bring there? I've only done the other way and the customs to get into Canada were pricey and ate into my budget quite a bit. Just me but I don't think I'd go the standardbred route for what you're wanting, agree with Emma, set yourself up with the horse that you like and is doing what you want. Take your time and be ruthless about it. I had a similar budget and did go look at a few earlier this summer that I think would have checked all your boxes and been well within budget.

      Delete
    3. It's my understanding that to cross from BC to WA I'd just need a coggins and health cert, fees are minimal. That's not a huge hurdle, so I would consider BC in scope of my search.
      I have a soft spot for standies, lol. My first horse I ever had was a standardbred and I did Pony Club with him. I know they'd be versatile enough to also do endurance.

      Delete