Monday, July 16, 2018

WEG 2018

So I am officially a cross country jump judge! When I initially signed up they assigned me to be a crossing marshal which I was excited about ... but it was no fence judging. Then I noticed they were still looking for more judges and I emailed the coordinator about switching. It was officially assigned this morning and as of this afternoon I have my accommodations reserved for the time I'm in Tryon!

While I did qualify for free volunteer housing I opted to pay to be closer. I'll be tent camping (thank you Endurance for making this seem like NBD) at a campground about 10 miles from TIEC. Given that I'm expecting traffic to be a nightmare while I'm there, it really made the '40 miles from TIEC but for free' seem like not such a good deal.

And now I'm browsing prime day deals to see if there's any kind of camping equipment I could snag to make things more comfortable.



But honestly I think I'm all set. I'll be getting food vouchers for the days I work, so that takes care of lunch and I think dinner. Breakfast can be all cold stuff and I can pick up ice and milk once I'm in the area for my cooler and mainly do protein shakes for breakfast. If I do a double shake, I'm good for a long while and could do a late lunch. I've grabbed a clear vinyl backpack for carrying my stuff to my volunteer duties as that will be a security requirement and we'll have lockers to use. I already have water bottles and my cooling towels.

Sleeping wise I have the cot, so I won't be on the ground, I just need to make sure it'll fit into the tents we have. So far I've only used the cot in my truck tent and my trailer. I'll need to test run that first. I'm pretty sure it's going to be ridiculously humid still in NC/SC so sleeping should be fairly comfortable. My tent site has electric (!) so I've picked up a converter and could run a small fan at night for more comfort. It'll be practically luxurious! LOL

Historical averages say to expect mid 80s in the daytime in September in Tryon and mid 60s at night. That'll be perfect. I'm really only worried about rain at this point and keeping my stuff dry.

I can camp fairly independently for endurance rides so this shouldn't be much different. At most I want a pop up tent in the event of extra rain. That's it. If I really need to, I can just sleep in my car. And I found a purple one at Dick's for $50, which is cheaper than anything on amazon.


Gwyn wants you to know that she has doubts about the skills of the tiny human...and her big human's judgment in letting the tiny human make her trot...


6 comments:

  1. Yay!! September is typically gorgeous weather and low humidity in the mountains in Tryon. Just a warning - the food they give volunteers is barely edible. At the Fork test event several people got pasta salad that was juice only. No pasta or veggies showed up in their container. I’ve learned the hard way to pack snacks to eat.

    I’m a back up scribe which I believe means I’ll be called in if the initial person can’t be there. When will you be here? I’ll make sure to come up and meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be driving down on the 11th and staying through to the 16 and going home that day.

      Delete
  2. I'd add a tarp or an eeze-up to go over your tent in case it rains. That extra layer will be invaluable if it rains. If it doesn't rain, all the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my thought for the one thing I'd want to add. Just an extra layer of rain diversion, especially since I'll be there for so many nights.

      Delete
  3. oooooh that's awesome - i'm jealous!! WEG is definitely on my bucket list, take tons and tons of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO excited! My friend Cheri went back in 2010 and I couldn't swing the trip up since we were a month out from moving across the country. Lots of pictures and hopefully lots of swag!

      Delete